Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Voice from Suzanne on Chemotherapy

Hello everyone!!
Since this is my first posting I want to say how much I have appreciated all the out pouring of love and kindness I have received from the beginning. I would have to say a girl could not do this alone cause honestly chemo at times isn't much fun. I have received three out of eight treatments and so far have done OK until this week. I have the dreaded experience of nothing tasting good to eat. If you know me you'll know how important food is to me. Mostly food has a very metallic flavor to everything and I thought oh my goodness this isn't good. It has been difficult to want to eat and keep my energy up. Energy being very pivotal in my being able to still work at my deli job at Super 1. This food thing went on for several days and I must say I felt very discouraged by this. But like they say this too will pass and I knew I was on the up swing when I was able to eat some lentils and rice cat made. Don't get me wrong I have been dreaming of food.....like Hatch green chilies , Scallops from the road stand in New England, Indian food from the UK and Thai food in Cambodia. All these foods of course include my beloved family and friends and traveling. Hay look, if you can't eat anything good you need to dream about it and dream big time, it really helps.
The other interesting thing is how I entered this process with my sense of self and then I notice I'm involved in a new process with this chemo. Sometimes the process is all consuming and I forget to just remember this is just a place on the road and it won't always be this way. How I am trying to counter act this is I just sat on the stoop and watched Stuwe (our wired haired dachshund puppy) and Max the Cat play. As simple as it sounds it was very fun and normal and relaxing. So it is an interesting journey to say the least.
I have been enjoying the blog spot that Cat has so lovingly put together. Left to my own devises I would not have been able to have pulled it off. The pictures are so fun and I have loved all the comments. It really lifts my spirits a lot. And don't you just love all the chemo girls!! They have been hanging in there with me from the beginning which I feel very blessed by. My favorite 9 year old Madelaine came this last time which was great. I wanted her to see what I was going through so that she won't worry about me. I loved having her great kid energy right there. Madelaine was a big trooper that day.
Lots of other wonderful things have happened I have received lots of great gift like this Ipad I'm writing you on from Tracy and Patty. I have gotten lots of great jewelry and would say my BLING factor has greatly improved. I have received so many significant religious items from my friends in Texas, New Mexico and North Carolina who have been looking out for my spiritual well being. I have gotten tokens and gifts some being re-gifts that I had given years ago, and I have gotten other tokens as a way of keeping connected to those who love me that are far away. I have been very blown away by everyone and how in their own way have made a personal connection to me. It is so wonderful and if I had the right words to describe it would probably have to be a new word. Calls have come in too which i have not always been able to return......but please know how much this means to me. Honestly, a girl just can't do this on her own....Please know that I do feel incredible blessed and held up by all the amazing people who surround me and know that I adore you all. You are always on my mind and in my HEART even on the bad days......the thoughts of you helps me get through it. Thank you from the bottom of my heart. So when this is all said and done I will gladly except any and all invitation to meet you at your favorite eating place and order everything off the menu...I'm not kidding!!! So until then eat something yummy for me and know that I LOVE YOU!!!

6 comments:

  1. Hey Suzanne,
    May those comfort foods slide right down! Great to read your post, thanks for sharing so much of yourself. It's so sweet and lifefull that so many folks are praying and talking and just being with you on this journey. You deserve it ALL...
    big squeezes & can't wait to do it in person,
    love,
    Caroljean

    ReplyDelete
  2. My dear, sweet sister of the heart~ I can only count myself blessed beyond measure with your friendship and your amazing spirit~ If I should ever be faced with an extreme health challenge such as yours, you are teaching me a most valuable life lesson and I can only hope I measure up in some small way....how to face adversity valiantly and with such grace and spiritual empowerment! You truly inspire me and re-enforce in me the desire to be 'all that I can be!" Love you with all my heart! ~Judy
    Big Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great to see you posting... I am impressed that you are doing it on an iPad (what a great piece of technology - have you tried the dragon app, you can dictate what you want to say and the app writes it for you).

    Keep smiling, my dear friend.

    Big hugs and lots of love,
    Barbara

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey There, Suzanne~ Thinking of you and just wanted you to know~ I am carless right now, so can't get over to the hospital to see you and I know you're having a siege of it.....sorry to hear it.

    I am sending you LOVE and BIG HUGS! until I can deliver them in person!
    Much Love to You My Friend~
    XOXOXO ~Judy

    ReplyDelete
  5. So sorry to hear that you are having a hard time of it right now. I can't even imagine the strength and fortitude it takes to go through all these treatments. Please take comfort in knowing that we are out here cheering you on, even if it is cosmically.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Zanne,

    So great to hear from you!!!! I've been thinking a lot about you and Cat and these days and sending well wishes from 8,000 miles away. A few Sundays ago I drove my motorbike to a temple on a mountain overlooking my city. I was alone up there with only the company of one Buddhist monk and it was so quiet and peaceful. I thought about you and all the wild laughs we've had and all the incredible dinners and sleepovers and conversations and how I miss being a part of that with you especially in this challenging time you are enduring. While I can't fully imagine the process you are going through, I have always been awed by your positivity and "kick ass" attitude. Of course, I would expect nothing less from you.

    I want you to know that I love you and I truly value your friendship. And I hope you are kicking ass each and every day in whichever way you can. I think you said it best when you pointed out that this is just a part of the journey and certainly not the entire journey. So very Buddhist of you! Therein lies the beauty of impermanence. I will catch you on Skype very soon!

    All my love,

    Noël

    ReplyDelete